Wednesday, May 7, 2014

THE ONE BY KIERA CASS (BOOK REVIEW)


POV:  lead protagonist America Singer, First Person POV

SETTING: Palace of Illea

RATING: 5/5 stars 9maybe even 999999999999999999999 stars

SUMMARY:

The Selection changed the lives of thirty-five girls forever. And now, the time has come for one winner to be chosen.

America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the competition approaches its end and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.

From the very first page of The Selection, this #1 New York Times bestselling series has captured readers' hearts and swept them away on a captivating journey... Now, in The One, Kiera Cass delivers a satisfying and unforgettable conclusion that will keep readers sighing over this electrifying fairy-tale long after the final page is turned

via goodreads

Time check 2:40 am, May 7, 2014 and I just finished The One! I'm hungry for more!!

By the time, I saw the last sentence I thought there is still few chapters to go, but when I turn the other page, the next thing I saw is "Acknowledgements" and I lie down on my bed, thinking this can't be the ending! I need to read more Maxon and America in my life! I want someone to tell that my copy has missing a few pages toward the ending. but it isn't!

I would like to quote this one from one of letters Maxon gave to America the moment he confirmed that he is choosing her:
“This isn’t happily ever after.
It’s so much more than that.”

It is indeed true! the book ended the way I wanted it to be, what I always hoped for. I want Prince Maxon to marry America, for Aspen to fall in love with someone else, for the King to be out of the picture (though I never thought he will die but trust me it crossed my mind- i want to kill him myself- because he is holding America back to love Maxon.)

the best part of this book is when America and Maxon is on the rooftop and it is raining and they kissed, like Maxon is just waiting for her to say those 3 words, 8 letters and they will be engaged that moment. I love how America finally realized she is in love with Maxon, that she love him so much all along, such a perfect moment!

I remember after they slept together. It is too perfect, the way they kissed, confessed their love on each another and then the tickle war that startled the guard especially Aspen who opened the door pointing his gun.It ruined the bubble when she tried to tell Aspen right after Maxon left, she could have told everything to Aspen while they were in Carolina or when they were on the plane..
When Maxon left, I really thought for one second they will never be together because he is sending America home, that mini heart attack, what a plot twist!!

like What Marlee says “America, you are full of nothing but bad ideas. Great intentions but awful ideas.”

I just want to know more about Maxon and America's married life, if they even have children, how their life has been after the caste are removed.

To see Aspen's life with Lucy after she retired being America's maid.

BUT at the end, I have so many unresolved questions in my mind.I can't fall asleep by thinking about it. so here are the few:
(maybe it could be a classroom discussion later on, kidding!!)

1. What is the cause of of America's Father's death? (it is so sudden though he has letter 3 years ago, is he keeping some kind of illness? what so?)

2. How did Maxon forgave America so easily after knowing about Aspen? (I know he loves her so much, but I could have at least wanted some clarification, there is like a missing piece here)

3. Is that what Aspen trying to say to America long time ago, that is he is in love with Lucy?

4.What happened to Illea after the erasing the Caste? Is Maxon and America still be the King and Queen?

5. What happened to Kriss? How did Maxon tell her that it is America all along that he wanted to marry? especially, after the attack in the palace on the day of the announcement.

6. How many days/weeks passed after the last attack before America and Maxon's wedding?

7. Where is America's head maid, Anne go? Is she dead?

8. How long did Lucy and Aspen been hiding their relationship? Is it the reason why Lucy looks so upset when she found out Aspen and America has a past before the selection even begin?

9.What happens to the Southern Rebels after the massive attack that got them kill the King and Queen? how about the Northern Rebels?

10. why is there is no funeral for the King and Queen

11. Is Kriss one of the "sources" or the "insider" from the Palace that informs the rebels what's going on? is Gavril too?

12. Why Princess Nicoletta and the other Italian Royals not present in the wedding?

13. will America and Maxon still live in the Palace when the caste is finally erased?

14. Who will rule the Illea now?

15. What happens to Elise and Celeste after they were sent home? ( I know the lives of the other girls who left the selection are not particularly shared because it is on America's POV, so only the things she sees is what she can share but I was hoping something more from the other Elites)

OVERALL, the book is so amazing! I can really feel Maxon, America and the other characters real, in my heart. I will miss them and their journey. I really love this book so much, I tend to over think things about their lives. It is bitter sweet to see a series finally come to an end, I'm completely grateful this book didn't hurt as much the other "series ending" books out there *insert ALLEGIANT here*.

I want to find my own Maxon, real soon! xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment